In Christ Alone

Friday, March 19, 2010

Eulogies Delivered By Friends

After celebrating Christmas with my family last year (25 Dec 2009), Bonny was not very happy when he saw that I had more presents than him. It was becasue I had birthday presents on top of Christmas presents since my birthday was on 21 Dec. He turned to me and told me that he would like to have a birthday party this year so that he could receive lots of presents. Today is his birthday but he is now in heaven rejoicing and celebrating life all the time and have all the presents that he had ever wanted. Though he is no here on this earth, I would like to put together these eulogies in rememberance of him and the joy he had brought to us all.

The Eulogies are in the form of two videos taken at the Eulogies Farewell Service on 8 February and a compilation of written eulogies sent to me via emails and cards. May we thank God for blessing us with such a man as my husband, Wilfred (Bonny) Khalil. Love, Kim Lang


Please turn off the "In Christ Alone" Song in the right column so that you can hear the videos.



Eulogies written by Friends:
"We have fond memories of Bonny “a Big guy with a Big heart”. I have learnt many things about life and pastoral ministries just being around him. His boldness in standing for his convictions was something I wanted to emulate but could not do myself many times. He excelled in relating with and shepherding the sheep entrusted into his hands and always went the extra mile for them. “Well done good and faithful servant” is the words he must have heard from his master, Jesus, as they met each other. We will miss him."
Timothy Das

"Ps Wilfred, thanks for being a big daddy to me ever since I was small. I always love to see your smile, see you strumming on the guitar or banging on the drums or to hear you singing a random song. You never fail to bring a smile to my face. :) One thing I really miss since you've gone, is your big bear hug. Thanks for everything and see you when I get there."
Love, Natasha Lai =) "

"Ps.Wilfred has been a blessing to many of us here in TCA college through his friendship and just his presence that always gave us laughter and fun. His passion for learning and ministry has also inspired us. We missed him much here in our classes and college."
Treasuring the fond memories of him, Seng Yan & Clarice

"Dear Kim Lang, You had a "good man" as your husband. I don't say this of many people even those in the ministry. He was a sincere man. In Selarang I met many, but I was touched by his sincerity and his "softness" toward the Lord and the things of the Lord, even in the mist of his struggle during those times. I always find him humble and very teachable in Selarang and that really impressed me and encouraged me. So we had a connection. (I am still crying as I write this - had to dry my tears to see the screen). I will miss him. More so you would!"
Robert and Sylvia Yeo

"Dear Ps Bonny (Wilfred), You are a good shepherd, a good leader and a good servant. You loved to challenge us each time wherever and whenever we meet you either at the mission field or at church, and you were always so smart to win us over, you are the winner! Now you even finished the race b4 all of us. Therefore, well done, Ps Wilfred!"
Ps Steven Michael Nicaud, Ps Ed Pousson, Carmen, Ezekiel, Hui Ting and Eileen (Aceh Team)

"When I first visited CPBC, I was touched by the testimony he shared during the HighPoint Sunday. You can say, that he was one of the reasons that made me embrace CPBC as our home church. When I subsequently had the opportunity to work with him in HighPoint, there was always that good natured humour that made boring occasions interesting. Yet, I knew that he was struggling but he managed to keep a strong front for the sake of others. He is a friend I will miss."
Harry Loh

"Bonny had incredible ability to remember people…. I’ve never known another person with such a memory for faces. I think it’s because he saw and remembered people with his heart and not his eyes alone.
He loved the Lord with childlike abandon, didn’t he. How many times have we heard wild drum beats coming from the NETS hall at the old office or strumming suddenly arising from his cubicle! And we’d grin at one another and say, “Alamak, this Wilfred ah!”
There are certain qualities about him that supersedes the best of pastors. And for these qualities so many people of so many nationalities came up to say how much they loved Bonny. He was a unique individual."

Regina Joy

"Pastor Wilfred gave of himself most generously—always buying charity products from the church stall (I’m sure there are many keys chains in your home!) and bringing his great sense of humour and love of practical jokes into our conversations. At a particular difficult time in our family, he showed us great understanding and support and again his generosity of spirit shone through. Ashley has reminded us that it was Pastor Wilfred who alongside Ps Guna baptized her so he was also there at one of the happiest times in our family. We will always remember him."
The Hewitt Family—Robert, Jenny, Christine, James & Ashley

"Pastor Bonny was very special to me I want you to know that. As a man of prayer and intercession, real prayer and yearning for and knowing God's heart and not "going through motions and trying to impress" like many others, I know of hardly any other. I got to know him well during the period when volunteers were asked to pray as a group whilst the service was ongoing, and I was one of the few who did. Very shortly, only a few were regular, and as we were a small group, it soon became more personal and intimate. We then started to also pray for each other and that's when I found out about Pastor Bonny's condition [when it flared up and made his movements difficult and painful and he asked me to keep him in prayer re medical tests and healing].
Despite this, it NEVER affected nor "got in the way" of his prayer life and focus. He did tell me, when we used to chat, that he wished that "when it was time to go" God will take him quickly. He did say that it could "happen anytime" and that God's time was His choice but before that, he will continue diligently in His work. He was also absolutely assured in faith that God will not take him until he was personally assured that his LORD will "look after Kim Lang". God loved him as much as He loves you and will never do anything to your/our detriment.
Pastor Bonny, usually would sidle up to me and/my family when I/we went up to the front for prayer. He would give me his "broad and knowing" smile first, rub his palms together, before asking for my prayer requests. He prayed for and over me for many things. He was the one who prayed over Joshua's hearing deficiency and he was healed very soon after. I am so so thankful to God for Pastor Bonny's influence in my life, particularly my prayer life.
Couple of times we met for lunch during the weekday where he encouraged me in my own prayer life and general chit chat. While he rarely gave the message in church, I used to yearn to hear him speak. Whilst his content and delivery was unlike other pastors, he always spoke with sincerity from his heart and from God's heart to us. He was measured in his delivery and did not have the oratory style of others, but his substance was never ever in any shortfall whatsoever. I could go on and on but words will never express how special and dear he was to me and I cannot imagine, how much much more he must have been to you. You will miss him and he was a one-off special person."

Samuel Panthradil

"I stepped into CPBC for the first time that day in 1995 & it was a wedding - the wedding of Bonny & Kim Lang. As the solemnization ended & the guests were ushered towards the reception, I was slowly making my way down the stairs to join them. I felt like a stranger as I didn't know anyone from this church as it was my first time there. Before I knew it, the bride & groom saw me coming down the stairs & walked towards me with beaming smiles radiating. They starting talking to me & enquired so much about me, just minutes right after their solemnized wedding!!! Shaking my hands, they welcomed me not only to their wedding but to CPBC as well. I was shell shocked & didn't know how to react or respond, overwhelmed by their sincerity…. Just before they were asked to grace the reception, Bonny came forward & gave me THE hug. You can go anywhere on the face of this planet & you can never find a hug as caring & loving, as affirmative & accepting as Bonny's hug & for those who've experienced it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. They exemplified to me that day, on their wedding day, what a Christian is like by accepting me, affirming me & acknowledging me. I told myself that day that if this is what a Christian is like, then I want to be a Christian like that!
Later, Bonny & I started a brotherly relationship when I was assigned to help set up musical instrument at West Coast recreation center where CPBC used to worship. The first thing Bonny would do was to lead me to kneel down on the carpeted stage floor to pray & that man really prays! Praising, shouting, worshipping, singing (in tongues too) he prays. At first I thought, "Oh my God, what have I got myself into?" But slowly over the next few weeks, it rubbed on me & influenced me & soon, I was starting to 'pray' like Bonny. He was my hero. After the powerful prayer time, we would start the setting up & Bonny will start his 'sermons'. I was his 1 man audience. With tenacity & conviction, Bonny will share with me about the Bible & I started to grow in the knowledge & grace of God. Whatever I learn from Bonny, be it the way I pray or stories & applications from the Bible, I will exhibit it in Highpoint & to the many Christian meetings, retreats & services. Many have marveled & wondered at my maturity & knowledge in the very short span of time & today I would like to credit that to my mentor Bonny Khalil, who guided me in my formative budding Christianhood…. God used him to impact me, influence me & infuse me with a fiery passion for Jesus!
Bonny used to quote to me one of his favorite verse while we do our setting-up & it was Philippians 3:10 which says, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death". With clenched fists he would tell me, Daniel, wow, I want to experience the power of his resurrection & I want to share in his sufferings. Well, Bonny had his fair share of sufferings. Now, he gets to experience the power of HIS resurrection! Hallelujah!"
Daniel Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment